Yes, yes. I know. You're still trying to recover from your shock. Would it help if I told you I feel a helluva lot better overall? That I don't miss grains? Like, honestly don't miss them?
Well, you're going to have to move on. It's just the way it is.
In my grainful days, pasta was my go-to meal. Quick, easy, tasty...and the kids ate it. During week three of this changeover, I found myself missing the ease of a pasta dinner. One thing lead to another and Amazon shipped me this guy.
I love it with a passion usually reserved for the Magic Bullet.
With it, I've been able to create this...
Zucchine Sott'olio con Pollo*
4 large zucchini, washed
1/4 c. olive oil (the good stuff)
6 cloves of garlic, finely diced (because yum)
1 chicken breast, sliced
2 T fresh, finely chopped basil
1. Spiralize your zucchini. If you don't have a groovy tool to do this for you, though there are so many less expensive options so you really should, then julienne. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan.
3. Salt and pepper the chicken, adding it to the hot oil. Cook until done. Remove from pan.
4. Add garlic and crushed red pepper to the oil and cook until lightly toasted. Keep an eye on it. Toasted garlic = delicious. Burnt garlic = horrid.
4. Add the zucchini, basil, salt and pepper. Stir, letting it cook until the zucchini is al dente. In the last minute or so, add the sliced chicken.
5. Serve topped with Parmesan and more crushed pepper if you're like me and love a good lip tingle of spiciness.
*Google Translate for the win!