Or is that just me?
So I saw this and thought it looked divine.
Then I made this and realized the two combined might be heaven.
I now know I was right.
French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese
First comes the onions...
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 T butter
1 pinch thyme
2 pinched flour
1/2 oz white wine
4 oz beef broth
1. Melt the butter in a skillet.
2. Add onions and let them cook until they've browned. In other words, caramelize the suckers.
3. Add the flour, thyme, and a little salt and pepper if you like.
4. Just when everything looks like it's going to burn, add the liquid. Cook until it reduces down to virtually nothing but a thick, delicious "sauce".
Then the sandwich...
4 slices bread - the bread is important. The recipe above for the herb bread is a dense, buttery loaf with a little olive oil and salt on the crust. It works beautifully especially when baked with some thyme. If you don't want to bake your own bread, choose something heart to soak up all that oniony goodness.
4 oz Gruyere, shredded
1. Butter the bread on one side of each slice. I feel weird telling you to do this because I assume everyone has made a grilled cheese.
2. Place in a hot skillet, butter side down, of course. Add half the onion mixture and top with a good handful of cheese. Top with the other slice of bread, butter side up.
3. Press for all you're worth. One day, I'll either own a panini press, a George Foreman, or a brick I can wrap in tinfoil. Until then, press, press, press.
4.When it's golden brown on the bottom side, flip and cook the other side.
This sandwich is so good, it deserves an Oscar and seriously only takes a few minutes to put together. So. Worth. It.