Well, fine. "Genius" may be reaching, but it was still a fantastic idea.
I usually have a bowl of Five Minute Bread hanging out in my fridge. I've written about this amazing bread recipe before. It's simple, easy, and takes five minutes to mix up.
Which means, if it's already in the fridge, you can have cinnamon rolls in less than an hour with minimum fuss.
But if you don't have it mixed up...
Five Minute Bread Dough Basic Recipe
3 c. warm water
1.5 T dry yeast
1.5 T salt
6.5 c. flour
Add ingredients in that order. Mix. Cover - not seal - the container and let it rise for two hours. Put it in the fridge and you'll be ready for cinnamon rolls.
Simple Apple Cinnamon Roll Recipe
Bread dough (room temp)
1 cube butter
3/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c flour
1 T cinnamon
1 apple finely chopped
1/3 c walnuts finely chopped
1/4 c sugar
1/2 t cinnamon (not a typo)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 and spray a cake pan with nonstick spray.
2. Roll your bread dough in a rectangle. I used a cookie sheet as my "mold". WARNING: use flour, lots of flour, to keep it from sticking to everything.
3. In a bowl cut together the butter, brown sugar, flour and tablespoon of butter. Sprinkle over bread dough, making sure you get the edges.
4. In another bowl, mix walnuts, apple, sugar and second bit of cinnamon and then sprinkle over the brown sugar mixture on the bread dough.
5. Roll, roll, roll.
6. Slice the roll however thick you want your cinnamon rolls. I usually go for about three or four inches.
7. Place your slices in the cake pan.
8. Bake for 30 minutes or until the bread is golden brown.
Now, here's where things can get a little insane. You can either serve as is or you can put yourself into a sugar coma and...
Melt 1 cube of butter, 1/2 c. sugar, dash of cinnamon, 1 shot caramel liqueur. Bring to a rapid boil to cook off that alcohol. Pour over the top of your rolls.
By the way? With the topping, these things are illegal is twelve states.